Monday, November 03, 2008

the timeless monday blues

a lot has changed in my life. but one thing has remained a constant – monday blues haunt me, like it does to many of us. as working life gets busier and busier, i find myself pushed to make the best of the weekend – run errands, clean the house, do the laundry, meet with friends...you get the drift. which makes it seem like the weekend no longer 'comes' – it whizzes by in a blur, and before i know it, the TGIF spirit is replaced by bleary eyes and an alarm announcing its time to wake up to yet another monday.

so, i lie in bed for a precious few more minutes, pondering just how many people might miss me if i don't go in to work – how about taking a day off? or getting an MC? it can't all that bad – can it? but then, the thought of looming deadlines makes me groan. hey, how about a few more winks, and then i can catch a cab to work? possible, but the thought of horrendous cab fares ripping out all the cash in my wallet makes me scream and run to the bathroom.

so it goes. like the little kid who hated school on mondays, i head to my office. but i give myself little treats to make up for it. i sleep a little bit longer on the bus. i make myself a cup of coffee before i start the work-day. as i raise the cup to my lips, i toast to yet another week – and remind myself that its just five more days to friday!

PS: if none of this makes any sense to you, and you are even wondering why i bothered writing a blog on this, you may need to head down to the nearest WA – workaholics anonymous.

No comments: