Tuesday, July 08, 2008

a ghostly possibility

i may have been sharing my house with a ghost until two days back. no, really. it all started some days after i moved in to my new house, and had trouble sleeping. 

what makes me sure it is a ghost? (you ask with a cynical air)

now, i am a very deep sleeper (very few things wake me up - and i haven't figured what the 'few things' are as of yet). so if something is bothering me, and disturbing my sleep - it has to be something extra-worldly. plus the fact that i felt 'something' heavy sitting on me once, heard raps on my door and table couple of times, not to mention that a friend (who is exceedingly sensitive to paranormal forces) felt 'uncomfortable' when she visited.

initially, i ignored the ghost. turned my back on it and its nonsense. but apparently, 'it' refused to understand. and kept up its antics. that's when it became apparent i had to do something. hey, i gave up my job at a news channel - not entirely because of, but also - because my sleep was too jilted by the shift-arrangement. so it really didn't make sense to put up with something that makes that decision seem meaningless. right?

so it was. but frankly i was in no mood to hire a priest or exorcist (actually, more like i cant afford their exorbitant rates). and then, a friend suggests an instant cure - prayer, and some simple rituals to propitiate the gods. it seemed a bit off for me but i tried - AND IT WORKED!

holy cow! i am not atheist, but i am not into rituals. but just having some hymns playing and chanting a simple prayer before lights-out has made sure i have restful shut-eye. 

the ghost is apparently resentful. it made some screechy, weird noises from outside my bedroom (note 'outside') the first night, but for now, it seems to have given up. and is maybe scouting around for a new place. 

so, its adios to the ghost that 'shared' my appartment. too bad for the paranormal dude/dudette. but hey, you aint getting real estate for free in sky-high-rents-Singapore. Even if you don't take up much space, literally. 

No comments: