Thursday, July 10, 2008

an impending sign of doom

i am starting to fear that the worst may just come to pass. that my hair will fall out, and not grow back fast enough to replenish the loss.

i know that speculating the worst is not a good thing. but it can be quite scary when i wash my hair and find the drain clogged by a lot more strands than before. going by common sense, it takes longer for a hair to grow that it does to just fall out - so even with my terrible math abilities, it seems like it is not a good sign. 

the feeling of something-bad-may-just-come-to-be gets worse when i visit my relatives, and my aunt greets me with, "you have less hair than before". talk about honesty (leave aside courtesy and politeness).

somehow, hair loss seems to be so much more easily handled by men. some look more dignified with a half-head of hair, still others just go 'cool' and shave it all off. i don't think either option would suit me. 

no, sticking needles in my head to rekindle the blood flow and stimulate the cells is not something i desire. neither do i want to soak the remaining strands in lotions with suspect chemicals. 

but hope seems to be at hand. i read a book where a woman suffered terrible hair loss, tried everything and failed; and then got her hair growth back to normal after she paid a visit to the city of amritsar in north india - a land populated by men and women who revere their hair to the extent that they wont cut it (some believe they are descendants of samson, the mythical hero whose strength was contained in his hair).

maybe i should plan my next holiday with amritsar in mind.

No comments: